Sunday, September 26, 2010

Getting back to normal, whatever that is...

I've been gone for a bit. The reasons are numerous.

For one, I went without a home computer for about five days. Being as I do most of my writing in the middle of the night, this situation pretty much eliminated the possibility of blogging. As for the other week I was absent, well, I can't really provide a clear explanation. I haven't really been communicating much at all. Suffice it to say that my cognitive gears have been grinding so to speak. Things have been rolling along less than smoothly. Nothing serious, just the typical psychological angst experienced by fringe people like myself, mixed with dissatisfaction in my employment and general apathy. Same old story.

But some interesting things have happened. I interviewed for a job at the world's most disgusting butcher shop, located in the world's worst neighborhood. I also was hired at another job, only for that business to cease operations and fold only 48 hours later. I met some of the stupidest people on the planet, developed a new ulcer, and performed some classic sleep-walking shenanigans. In addition, I had an epiphany, in the middle of a super busy Saturday night dinner service, that will surely alter the coarse of the remainder of my life.

In due time, I will write about some of these stories. Tonight will not be the night however. I'm just trying to make my return to the social world a simple one. Tonight, I only want to make one brief commentary.

And here it is.

Never again will I subject myself to the standards of the corporate restaurant world. Barring absolute catastrophe, I'm officially signing myself off. I will tirelessly pursue employment in privately owned businesses from this point on. I'm absolutely finished with this world of memos, bureaucracy, and hierarchical structure run amok. I have become fully convinced that the corporate structure dehumanizes the laborers, dilutes the quality of the product, and drives down wages for those who do the majority of the labor.

By no means do I desire to offend anyone, nor do I desire to burn any bridges. Yet at this juncture in time, personal principle outweighs all other motivating factors. The seeming efficiency of the corporate kitchen is nice, as is the clearly defined structure. A different kind of human could certainly enjoy that sort of thing. But I'm not that kind of human.

Once again, I am born anew....

2 comments:

  1. Jesus Matt, how can you say you had an epiphany and then not tell us what it was? You're like a producer of a fucking TV show and you save the big reveal for next week...dick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! You're back!

    I've worked for two corporate restaurants and they both sucked ass. I couldn't get out of those places fast enough.

    I look forward to hearing about the stupidest people on the face of the earth because I think I know them. I don't know if I can handle the butchershop story. Thinking of meat makes me gag.

    ReplyDelete