Thursday, September 9, 2010

Six rays of sunshine...

Here's a brief list of things that I dislike. Some are from the present, some from the past.

1) Fryers.... I hate everything about deep fat fryers. They smell bad. They're dangerous. When I'm in a hurry, as I usually am, oil invariably gets on my skin, or occasionally, my face. And I'd rather burn in hell than clean one. It's a detestable job. After a full shift of kitchen work, the last thing I want to do is clean fryers before I can get the hell out of there.

2) People who are dirty and disorganized... I've worked with these types of cooks at some point or another everywhere I've ever worked. Everything needs to be kept in one specific spot. When something gets pulled out of a drawer or a low-boy cooler, it needs to be put back. Now. If I get crushed at dinner rush and my work space is filled up with all sorts of random items that someone has left out, or I have to search around for shit I need, I'm going to get angry. I used to work a large flat-top with another person. We kept four spatulas on the edge of it. My co-worker would set them down all over the place. I'd drop some food, and go to grab something else, and when I reached for a spat, they'd all be missing. Strewn about the area. This would occur ten times a day, and every time, I would instantly imagine myself stabbing him between the shoulder blades.

3) The chocolate fondue on the desert menu of the first restaurant I ever worked at.... Man that thing was a pain in the ass. I still get pissed off when I think about it. It required several steps and several minutes to construct it. It was by far the most time consuming item on the menu, and no one ever ordered it when I had time to spare. Whenever some table decided to have it, it was always at about quarter to seven on Friday night. As soon as you filled the ticket row, some diabolical suburbanite would request a chocolate fondue. One of the cooks I worked with there once told a regular customer, "You say fondue, but WE say fon-don't".

4) Communicating with servers, sometimes.... I'll be clear on this one. I like the servers. Most of them are great, and I realize that they have a difficult job also. But some of them, well, need to pipe down. If I'm more than 10 tickets deep, and some pissy server decides to come to the window and demand to know the whereabouts of their food, I'm most likely going angrily yell "trabajan". That's the warning. If it happens twice, I'm going to unleash a verbal beating of epic proportions, and for the remainder of our time working together, I will randomly "lose" their tickets, drag ass on their requests for garnish or lemon wedges, and as a general rule do any passive-aggressive thing I can to lower their tip percentage by 2% for the rest of their lives. We can be great partners and help each other out, or if they behave poorly, I can go silently psycho and irritate them 100 times per shift without management ever suspecting that I'm doing it intentionally.

5) Customers who don't order off the menu.... Stop it! The restaurant didn't go to the trouble of creating a menu and spending the money to produce them so that you can whimsically pick seven ingredients from four different entrees and ask to have them served on a croissant. Pick something and order it you picky, spoiled, P.O.S.! And if you've come to a restaurant which is featuring a Friday night special on crab legs, don't request to have them cooked in salted water rather than crab-boil. Just order something else. Or plunge the butter knife into your neck. Either is fine.

6) The "last-minuters".... Yes, I'm talking about those lovely people who wander in the door at 9:50pm on a Tuesday. Upon seeing the empty restaurant and a waitress vacuuming, they inquire "Are you still open?" And when the waitress shuts off the vacuum and responds blandly "Yes, we're open until 10", They smile and say "Oh! Perfect!".

No. Not perfect you morons. Yes, I know we're open until ten. Yes, I know that this is the service industry, and it's a customer oriented business. But you're still a pack of assholes.

Have you ever seen the movie "Waiting"? It's a corny movie, but that scene where the kitchen staff is standing around in a clean kitchen watching the clock tick away the last few minutes is very real. And when you walk in that door, we are infuriated. Not only do we now have to cook your food, we have to re-clean anything that is dirtied also. And none of us, servers included, can leave until your ignorant asses decide to pack up and ship out. You're basically robbing an entire group of 60-90 minutes of their free time. You people are absolutely detestable, and we all hate you.

Peace and love...

6 comments:

  1. The best part of the chocolate fondue was sending out mushy frozen strawberries defrosted in the microwave and stale everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Being a capitalist I kind of like the last minuters when delivering pizza. If I get a delivery 5 minutes before close it will consume 30 extra minutes of my life. If I am tipped my average of $3 I will make roughly $5.91 more that shift than I would have. If that happens twice a week all year my gross income will increase $614.64. Maybe I'll start my own blog? Perhaps titled, "Marginal Values of Time and Opportunity Costs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's clear that you don't value time as much as I do. I'd pay 5 bucks and some change to be left alone for half an hour. Silly capitalist.

    Also, I should let you know that our former boss reads this blog. Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there with you with deep fat fryers. What is it about that smell that makes me want to simultaneously throw up, shower excessively, clean my nostrils out with bleach? Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. When I cooked, I would always splash fryer grease on my thumbs. I hated that shit. As a server, I hate how anything from the fryer always falls off the plate onto my hand halfway to the table. My last 10 or 20 steps are excruciating as a French fry burns a hole into my palm. Ban fryers!

    2. We used to have a cook who essentially refused to bathe or change his clothes. You could smell his dirty greasy clothes even while standing by the Dumpsters. It was so nasty. Even worse are a few of our servers now. These are young (drunk) girls who wear dirty clothes to work. Their pants look as if they rolled around in the vacant lot next door before they started their shift. I could never approach a table all dirty and stinky.

    3. For me it's ice cream. I won't even tell people we have it, but sure as shit, they ask for it. As I'm walking to the waitstation it's a litany of "F*ck you AND your f*cking ice cream you f*cking f*cks." When I bring it to them I feel like throwing it on the table and yelling, "There! Are you happy now?!"

    4. I don't mess with my cooks, but I keep them on their toes also. After all, my money depends on how happy the customers are with the food. Other servers argue, bicker, fight, and annoy the cooks. I shake my head because I know their orders are going to be screwed up for the rest of the night. Have fun with that.

    5. I do not allow customers to order off the menu. I am NOT going to ask my cooks to jump through hoops to please some asshole who is probably going to leave me 10% anyway. Other servers do this and it sends the cooks into a hair pulling frenzy. If I overhear the order, I tell the server to tell the customer, "NO." There's the menu, that's what we serve, if you don't like it, there's the door.

    6. These people make me want to punch them in the throat. I had a table come in last night one minute before closing. We had been slammed all night and I just got my section cleaned up. I had two tables finishing their dinner when these assholes walked in. They had a kid and allowed her to throw everything in the caddy, the crayons, the kids' menu and all her food on the floor I just swept. I wanted to punt them out the door. I was beyond pissed when they finally left, 45 minutes after we closed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids in restaurants have always pissed me off.

    I wasn't allowed to destroy the dining room when I was a child. My parents let me be a kid, but at a certain point it was time to pipe down and follow orders. It wasn't negotiable.

    ReplyDelete