Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Commuting with the missing link...

Today I had another job interview. I was a bit nervous. But I went, and everything went swimmingly. I was handling questions well, and inserting humor as needed, and then right at the end, we started to discuss salary. My instincts told me that I may have priced myself out of consideration. I was told I would be contacted in a few days.

As I drove home, I tried to remain optimistic. I did a fairly good job of convincing myself that perhaps I was just being paranoid. "Maybe they'll call?" I said to myself.

When I got home, I discovered that they had re posted the position online. Merely 90 minutes after I had left the interview. Ahhhh. Disappointment. So I ate an apple, and took a nap. A sad and weary nap.

It's ok though. They were looking for a prep cook, I was looking for something more. So it goes...

The drive home was rough though. 30 highway miles, from downtown to suburbia, at the peak of rush hour traffic. I saw a lot of craziness. Every day I drive, I'm sort of surprised that more people don't die on the roads. Nobody seems to be thinking clearly. And everyone is on the phone. Everyone. Being as most people lack the intelligence to reasonably operate a motor vehicle in the first place, I'm not sure why they attempt to use a communication device at the same time. These people are way too dumb for multi-tasking. I often want to drag people out of their cars and beat them, and then stomp on their phones before I leave.

I recently heard a scientist argue a theory that humans are now evolving into two separate species; one intelligent, one not so intelligent. I didn't put much stock into the idea, but while driving home today it came to mind. And he may just be right.

If I think about all the rapid expansion of knowledge, science, and technology, and the people who develop or discover these things, and then compare those people to the girl who nearly caused three accidents in a three minute time period while applying eye-liner in the rear view; or the guy who cut of a semi while talking on the phone and eating a cheeseburger, the theory starts to make sense. It begins to seem logical that perhaps these beings are on their way to becoming different species. Evolution hasn't stopped. Theoretically, we have to be moving toward something.

But if it is true, here's the scary part: The stupid people are reproducing a lot faster than the smart ones. Think about it. Who has more kids, the guy with the PhD? Or the guy with a functional IQ of 88 who spends all of his money on shoes and weed? We all know the answer. Have you ever met a man with a confederate flag belt buckle who didn't have children scattered across six counties? I haven't. And who is reproducing with the dumb guys? Generally, other idiots. Most often, people tend to naturally pair off with their intellectual peers.

I should throw out a disclaimer: This is not a racial argument, nor is it an argument of socio-economics. I don't want to hear any comments of that nature. There are idiots among every race, creed, and class of people.

I don't have any kids, but perhaps I should. Perhaps you should also. If you already have kids, maybe you should bite the bullet and have one extra. We have to keep up with the morons and religious fanatics somehow, right?

1 comment:

  1. The rampant stupidity I see every day scares the crap out of me. They ARE going to take over the world.

    ReplyDelete