Sunday, July 18, 2010

In the beginning....

I'm a little worn down today. I've lived wildly this weekend. If I behaved this way all the time, I'd be dead inside of a month. The human body is not designed to take in this quantity of food, strong drink, and cigarettes.

But it's been a blast.

Saturday started with a prompt 2pm wake-up, followed by some internet searching for new food. For some reason, I wanted goat. A local Indian restaurant had it on the menu. Problem solved. But I didn't get in the car just yet. I kept looking around, and soon found a Jamaican place down on Olive. Jamaican food in the Asian district? It had my interest. Then I saw the menu, and to my pleasant surprise, they had goat! I couldn't get there fast enough.

The place looked promising as soon as we got there. It was in an old strip-mall. The dining room only had seven tables. The entire room was about 300 square feet. One guy had a scar from a bullet wound. No air conditioning. Real Jamaicans. This is extremely important. Ethnic foods, as a general rule, must be made by people of that ethnicity. Who wants Jamaican food made by the staff at Applebee's? Nobody.

We had fried plantains, chicken wings, curried goat, more chicken, rice, beans, and stewed cabbage. And everything, EVERYTHING, was absolutely perfect. Both cooking technique and flavoring as well. Shockingly good. Next time I'm trying the pickled fish. Why not?

There were a few drawbacks. It was 100 degrees. Be careful eating the food, because they don't remove bones. You don't want to bite into a chunk of goat bone. Plus, it takes a while to get the food to the table. They aren't in much of a hurry. There's one cook, and he takes his time. But that's not a bad thing. I'll wait if I know things are being prepared correctly. Overall, it was fantastic.

Today I was more responsible, and woke up at noon.

A friend told us about a new joint on the Delmar loop called "Cheese-ology". A quick online search revealed that they sell nothing but Macaroni and cheese. I was hung-over and my blood sugar was low, so it was perfect. I was wildly excited. And ultimately, we were not disappointed.

We had three offerings from the menu: "The Hill", which featured provel cheese, Italian sausage, and a little bit of red sauce, "The beef Philly", cheese, onions, peppers, and beef, and the "Bacon-bacon", Gruyere cheese and a ton of bacon. All are served in small cast-iron skillets. All of them were awesome. We ate until near sickness. "The Hill" was the winner though, by a slight margin.

So now it's Sunday night. And the fun is over. In the last two days, I've had enough calories for two weeks, an entire bottle of 100 proof bourbon, and about ten million cigarettes. So although the thought of returning to work tomorrow is quite depressing, in all reality, it's probably saving my life. Another few days of this binging, and I'd surely collapse.

6 comments:

  1. Glad my suggestion was a winner. I read the menu online earlier and I would like to try the one with the goat cheese... I think it was called 4-Cheese?

    And thanks for the tip about goat bones. That sounds mildly terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is called the 4-cheese. I saw someone else eating it. I considered asking for a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd try any of that food.but I just reading your typed word.you kept my attention and that's hard(o look a bird..he he he) to do .

    My favorite part was where you said..and that's not a bad thing.about the food taking a long time.because I just watched the movie still waiting and the boss is watching the video with Adam corolla in tips to getting and woman.and he says that a lot.lol..o well.I had taco bell for lunch..service was quick.good amount of mile sauce..and the breadsticks were good too.u see cuz it was the pizza but/taco bell one.lol..good job MT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....very impressed Matt! Funny too! But don't be trying to slip any goat meat in when you cook for us...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...a mac & cheese restaurant? I'd be in heaven.

    I've tried to comment here many times, but today is the first day it would let me. Silly Blogger. You should come to wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard wordpress is better, but it seems a bit complicated. I'm not very skilled with the computer. I pretty much just punch the keyboard like a chimp until something has been typed.

    ReplyDelete