Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Just grin and eat it...

I'm going to be in a wedding this weekend. This evening was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. This dinner was held at a Chinese buffet. A strange sort of Chinese buffet that has more than Chinese food. Pizza, and salmon, and crayfish, and macaroni and cheese, and a salad bar. It's an odd mix. But my point is that there are a lot of options.

Far the most part, this was an enjoyable experience. Except for one thing.

Throughout most of the meal, I had to listen to a member of my family complain constantly about the available food, listing, in great detail, the variety of foods that this person refuses to eat.

Sausage. Asparagus. Green beans. All seafood. Pepperoni. Spinach. Broccoli. And on and on. Chicken? Yes, but "only white meat" (Chicken nuggets are apparently considered as white meat). Turkey? It depends on a wild array of unreasonable criteria.

I simply despise people of this nature. They are the prime example of everything that is wrong with the eating habits of modern day Americans. Spoiled, shit eating morons.

I'm not going to say that there are absolutely no restrictions concerning what I will eat. There are a few. This is the entire list:

1. Bivalves. This includes clams, mussels, and oysters. I've tried. It's a texture thing. I just can't swallow them. Oddly, I will eat scallops however. For that matter, I'll eat a lukewarm scallop cooked mid-rare.

2. Durian fruit. I tried it in culinary school. I immediately threw up in a trash can. It tastes like dirty salt and rotting onion, with the texture of snot. It's terrible. Google it. I dare you to try it. If you are brave enough, have a trashcan nearby.

3. Certain parts of shellfish. I refuse to eat the head of anything, or the tomalley from a lobster. I also refuse to eat fish eyes. I will gladly eat the cheek or collar however. And if it's fresh, I'll eat any fish, raw. Anything. Happily.

4. Bugs. I don't eat bugs. Correction. I won't eat bugs I have to chew. I've actually swallowed many insects like pills in my life, mainly as the result of drunken dares. I guess if I absolutely had to, I could just swallow bugs like aspirin.

I realize that not everyone is as adventurous of an eater as I am. That isn't why picky people piss me off though. They piss me off because they are spoiled, ungrateful, and close-minded.

Throughout a majority of the world, people have very little choice in what they get to eat on any given day. They eat whatever is available, and they learn to cook whatever is available. This is why the cuisine from India, southeast Asia, the Caribbean, and parts of Africa is so dynamic and wonderful. If 12 people get to split one old rooster on a Saturday afternoon, those 12 people are very happy. They'd also be happy to split a turtle, or a rabbit, or anything they could pull out of the water. And most likely, they know how to make it taste good.

But not here in America. Not anymore. When I worked in the grocery store, we ran out of microwavable chicken nuggets once. When confronted with this news, I actually heard a woman angrily ask "You're out? How? What am I supposed to feed my son?!"

I wanted to say, "With a mother like you, perhaps you should just let him roam free and scavenge. He can't do any worse." But I just said that I was sorry, and moved along.

I say piss on frozen food. I haven't had a microwave in my home for a year, and yet somehow I am alive. Never buy a "lunchable". To hell with Oscar Meyer as a whole. "But I'm in a hurry" you say? You don't have time to cook? Bread+lunch meat+cheese+apple=meal. They sell peanut butter and jelly in the same jar now. You can't drive a mile across suburbia without passing a produce stand. It's never been easier.

Just learn how to cook. Insist on doing it as frequently as possible. If you don't have time, you need to loosen up your schedule. FEEDING YOURSELF is a basic human responsibility. Like bathing, or getting dressed, or not shitting in your pants. You wouldn't say "I just don't have time to use the toilet", would you? There are no excuses.

Look, I like hot dogs too. And we all love an occasional glass of Kool-Aid. But I suggest that many of us really need to re-think our dietary habits.

And to that certain family member of mine... Just stop bitching and eat some actual food. It isn't going to kill you...

6 comments:

  1. "But I suggest that many of us really need to re-think our dietary habits."....We were eating 3 year old jalapeno sausages at 2am a few nights nights ago...it was good though

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best comment this blog has received yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true. I stand convicted. I will say however, that I did make those sausages by hand. Cut and ground the meat, mixed the ingredients and seasonings, stuffed the casings, linked and cut them, and cooked them. So in my defense, it was a hand crafted food item.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food cupboard here requests things people can cook instantly...microwaveable meals, and stuff you just add water to...because many people (families) can't/don't cook. Some of them don't even have pots and pans. How on earth can you raise a family and only cook in a microwave? What is this world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried durian and though most of your description is spot on I also tasted an almost banana or plantain taste to it also. On top of that I didn't throw up at all, in fact I tried preparing it several different ways, unfortunately nothing really made any difference as the aroma and taste are quite overpowering. And I totally agree about the certain parts of shell fish, that stuff is just nasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister in law drives me bananas because she always whines that she can't cook [hence why she feeds her kids junk all.the.time] and I asked her once after yet another "I can't cook" tirade - "Can you read Lissa" She looked puzzled and said "Yes, why" My response "If you can read then you can read a simple recipe and make simple, healthy food." I know great/specialty cooking takes skills and I am not an amazing cook, but I can certainly put together Thanksgiving for 20, by myself, because I CAN READ. And I make a mean fried chicken. :D

    I also get tired of the "But I don't have time" - we all have to eat so yes you do have time. I can make a meal in less time than it takes me to go through the drive thru at McDonalds [taking into account driving to McDs and back home to eat] There are thousands of from scratch meals that take minutes to prepare that are good and nutritious - and a crockpot is a working family's best friend.

    Your points are well taken. :D

    ReplyDelete